Thursday, September 18, 2008

Elections 2006

(Originally published 7 May 2006)

With my constituency being a non-contest, I've been very much an observer rather than a participant of our nation's latest "democratic" process. It's just one of the many drawbacks of our so-called democracy - not everyone gets their democratic right to vote but hey, kudos to the PAP for coming up with elections-by-sections. There is seriously no better way of ensuring their prolonged dominance in the government. Anyway, I read the results of the elections with great interest, and I must say I'm rather pleased with how it's gone. This despite the fact that Sylvia Lim lost - I'm a big fan of hers and I would have liked to have her in Parliament, but I guess that's asking too much. She did win 43.9% of the votes which is hugely commendable and perhaps something to work on for the next one. Maybe next time, aye?

So why am I pleased with the results of the elections then? Well, I don't think anyone really expected any surprises. The PAP was always going to maintain their "mandate" but it's quite heartening to note that more Singaporeans are voting for the Opposition. Low Thia Khiang and Chiam See Tong both managed to garner more votes this time round (WP's Low winning, in spite of the PAP's Eric Low's unabashed $100 million carrot of upgrading, which is just plain shameless if you ask me). The WP's support grew from 2.7% to 16.34% all in the space of five years. All this, in spite of the government's efforts to make it incredibly difficult for anyone to be in opposition - media control, application of certain laws and policies that could be deemed unjust, censorship, legal threats, etc. - all with the tired excuse of maintaining stability. Democracy my ass.

I must concede the PAP are good at what they do. They have governed Singapore credibly (most of the time, at least) and given the majority of Singaporeans what they need (at the expense of some basic human rights but I don't think these Singaporeans mind). I have no problems with most of the things they do, but I do have a problem with how they go about doing them. And this is why I think it is important to have a strong opposition in Parliament. It is not about whether the Opposition can do a better job than the PAP. If I'm being perfectly honest, perhaps not because the PAP have got la creme de la creme, boasting professionals and academics in their ranks. It is about having a system of checks-and-balances in our government, about having that dissenting voice in Parliament, not just for the sake of argument but for the sake of balance and accountability. I would have liked Sylvia Lim to be there - I have been hugely impressed with her views and the manner with which she presents them - but for now, I guess we'll stick to the usual suspects. Come on Chiam, come on Low, get in there!

Anyway, this whole business of upgrading as an elections-carrot bothers me like an itch in the rectum. Seriously, why are Opposition wards not able to get upgraded? Is it because they don't have the money? If so, who determines the budget for these wards? The Parliament? The PAP? I would really love to know because right now, to me, it seems very much a way for the PAP to punish Singaporeans who vote the other way. Which then brings me to my next point: Are the PAP working to serve Singaporeans or only those who voted for them? Because if they are working for all Singaporeans, then I don't see why upgrading can't be for everyone, not just PAP-wards. That's a double-negative statement.

There's gonna be victory parades held in the next few days and this can only mean one thing: men and women dressed in white cycling down East Coast Road, honking their horns and looking decidedly silly. Ah well, that's Singapore politics for you.

No comments: